If you’re like most of my readers, you’ve got a business concept you’re passionate about. You’ve read the stories about other entrepreneurs who successfully built their businesses and are eager to achieve the same level of success.
But your business can’t grow without money, so you need to find investors. You know there’s money out there, but you’re not sure where to find it. How did those entrepreneurs find investors?
Maybe you feel like this person who approached me after a recent speech:
We’ve got a great business started, but I just have no idea WHERE to look for investors or how to get a meeting. I’ve reached out to some angels and VC firms, but to be honest it seems like there’s no way to raise money unless you already know someone. I feel like there’s some secret I’m missing.
Does This Sound Familiar?
If so, you’re not alone. All entrepreneurs have felt this way.
I certainly know what it feels like to have a great business idea…one that occupies your thoughts all day and night. An idea that you just know will be big time, if only you can find investors to back you.
As a member of a start-up that competed head-to-head with YouTube, I ran the venture capital treadmill as we raised millions and sprinted toward a lucrative exit.
A lucrative exit that never happened.
And that’s when I learned a very valuable lesson. It’s not about finding investors. It’s about finding the RIGHT investors, something I refer to as SmartMoney investors.
No one wants to work tirelessly to build their business only to fall short of their dreams, but it happens. In fact, according to some studies 90% of startups fail because they simply run out of cash. And then it’s back to the drawing board.
My Goal in Writing This Blog
Through my blog, events and videos, my mission is to help you as an entrepreneur to fund your businesses so you can realize your dreams. Whether the dream is to become acquired or to go public via an IPO, or to build a business you can stay involved in for the long-term.
My aim it to show you the path to funding your startup, from where to find investors and how to get meetings to what to say and how to close the deal. My goal is for you to succeed in your business so that you can succeed in life.
In order to make sure you don’t miss my newest blog posts, why not subscribe to my blog. It’s fast, easy, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
Work With Me
I love nothing better than sharing what I have learned with those who are eager to build their businesses. If this sounds like you, we need to connect.
Here are five ways you can access my knowledge and experience. I have arranged these in order, from those that require the least investment to those that require the most.
- Search my site. I’ll be writing two blog posts per week related to funding your business. Chances are I’ll address your question or issue, so feel free to use the search box in the upper right-hand corner of this page.
- Subscribe to my updates. I publish two new blog posts a week. I write on how to fund startup companies so entrepreneurs can realize their dreams. I cover angel and venture investing, entrepreneurship, building management teams and boards of directors and similar topics. By subscribing, you’ll get my latest thinking delivered straight to your inbox. Learn more …
- Buy one of my products. You can find them all in my store. They include solutions to help you find the right (SmartMoney) investors for your startup. Learn more …
- Book me as a speaker. I enjoy speaking on the topic of entrepreneurship and fundraising for corporations, conferences and trade associations. If you have an event you would like me to consider, just shoot me an email.
- Attend one of my events. I frequently speak on how to accelerate funding and find SmartMoney investors. Keep an eye on my event calendar and attend one of my events.
If you have something else in mind, other than what I have outlined, feel free to e-mail me. Someone on my team would be happy to talk with you.
My Products and Services
While the content on my blog is free, I do offer a number of commercial products and services. Be sure to check out my Store for ways I may be able to help you.
The good news is this. There is a formula for finding SmartMoney investors. You don’t need to take a shotgun approach and it doesn’t have to be chaotic. All it takes is the desire to learn the process and a mentor to guide you. If you’ll provide the first, I’ll provide the second.
Let’s get started.